Thursday, August 29, 2013

how to have a fantasy draft with your east coast friends when you live in Hawaii

Step 1: Wear a bandana and ask your east coast friends to do the draft at a reasonable hour.  The first draft Brenden did in Hawaii started before 5am here.
 Step 2: Set up your draft station ( computer, coffee, breakfast, phone, remotes, print outs, your draft copy).
 Step 3: Keep track of who has been picked.
 Step 4: Make sure one of your East Coast friends can Skype somehow (Brenden's friends used an iPad).

 Step 6: Seriously, keep track.
 Step 7: Have someone on "Skype Duty".  It's really difficult to hear player names when seven people are talking at the same time.
 Step 8: DRAFT
Step 9: Have fun & look forward to doing it again next year!

Note From Brenden:

I'm terrible at Fantasy Football, but I totally enjoy it.  Fantasy Football makes Fall the easiest time of year to keep in touch with friends back east (that & college football).  I was able to make it back to Virginia for the draft last year, so this marked only my third draft from the Aloha State.

I'd like to think I did a great job drafting this time around, but if I'm honest with myself I know that's not true.  My personal draft results are listed below.  This is a 10 team league that just implemented a keeper system last year.  I didn't keep anybody on my roster from last season (we can only keep players drafted after the 6th round), but I did end up with my son (Cam Newton) for a third straight season.  When I drafted him as a rookie I was laughed at.  The laughing stopped when he took the field.

So, see below & feel free to judge me.  In the end, I had fun drafting which is really all that matters to me.

1.) Cam Newton
2.) Chris Johnson
3.) Darren McFadden
4.) Dwayne Bowe
5.) Montee Ball
6.) Antonio Brown
7.) Michael Vick (odd pick for a vegetarian)
8.) Vernon Davis
9.) Mark Ingram
10.) Sidney Rice
11.) Seahawks D
12.) Kenny Britt
13.) Brandon Pettigrew
14.) Shonn Greene
15.) Matt Prater
16.) Michael Robinson...Now, other than say the Vick pick, this one needs explaining.  Michael Robinson is my favorite player in the NFL.  This is mainly because he was my favorite player when I was in college.  After I graduated, he helped put together one of the best football seasons I've had the pleasure of witnessing.  He wasn't promoted to starting QB until his final season.  In that season, he lost just one game, & he was not to blame*.  So, like many Penn State graduates my age, he holds a special place in my sporting heart.

*The NCAA does not recognize any Penn State Football victories from 1998 through 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment