Wednesday, October 29, 2014

cloth diapering

"you're crazy!"
"don't you know how much work that is?"
"I could never do that."
"Good luck" (complete with eye roll)
"That'll never last."

Even though cloth diapers have become a popular thing in recent years, I found that  90% of the time people have very negative opinions about it.  It got to the point where I didn't even want people to know we were planning on using cloth diapers because I was just tired of everyone being negative. Now that we've been using cloth diapers for six weeks I feel like I can talk about our experience with them.

Our cloth diapering system: Pre-folds with rump-a-rooz covers.  We also have cloth wipes and reusable diaper pail liners.

"you're crazy!"
Crazy about you.

"don't you know how much work that is?"
This comment primarily came from older women who had dealt with cloth diapers and the pins when taking care of their younger siblings.  I agree with these women, the pins suck. I hate the pins! The couple of times we practiced using pins on stuffed animals I struggled and wondered how I would do it in the middle of the night, I couldn't even it push it through the diaper.  But from watching youtube videos and googling tutorials we found snappi's which are amazing and so easy to use.

Everyone else was very concerned with the amount of laundry.  That is a totally valid concern and I worried about it many, many times before he was born.  But, it hasn't been so difficult. I do a load of diapers every other day and because we use pre-folds there are no special instructions, in the wash, in the dryer, on the baby. When I go back to work it may be a totally different story.

"I could never do that."
You totally could! After a few times folding and snappi-ing it becomes routine enough to do in your sleep.  I feel like I do it in my sleep every night.

"Good luck" (complete with eye roll)
Thanks ;D

"That'll never last."
So far so good! I worry that cloth diapering will end when I go back to work and our little one enters daycare.  Most daycares do not accept cloth diapers so we'll be buying disposables all the time anyways.  We'll see. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a daycare that does take cloth diapers, I know there are a few out there.


2 comments:

  1. I wanted to go cloth but then I realized how incredibly lazy I am and decided against the extra work. Just being honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! We keep disposables on hand for moments just like those and family, because not everyone is interested in figuring out cloth diapers.

      Delete