Sunday, May 4, 2014

Book Review: The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida

Since I contribute very little to this forum, I think I'll start posting book reviews.  I'll start with a book EVERYBODY should read.  It should take 90 minutes to two hours to read.

This morning I read "The Reason I Jump" by Naoki Higashida with an introduction by David Mitchell & translated by KA Yoshida.  The book is a beautiful & terrifying look into an autistic mind.  It's incredibly moving.

I've educated myself about autism in the past, but always with scientific studies & accounts from parents & caregivers.  Observations from the outside are fine, but nothing can match a view from the inside.

Naoki's view from inside his own mind has given me a much better understanding of what life is like for someone with autism.  It's so hard to imagine how challenging his life is, but he articulates everything so well that the view he gives is vivid and breathtaking.  The places he forces your mind to go are terrifying, but are places we should all go.

The book finishes with a short story that nearly moved me to tears.  Naoki is a phenomenal author & a an inspirational "traveler."


No comments:

Post a Comment